20 February 2011

Lemon Mint Cake with Lemon Syrup


Hello once again.  I just want to share a little recipe that I've made twice in the past 2 months.  It's a recipe I watched Giada De Laurentiis made on Food Network and it's amazing =) The recipe can be found at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/lemon-mint-cake-with-lemon-syrup-recipe/index.html.

I made this at my apartment for Valentines Day and I took a few pictures during the baking process.  I must warn you first, I forgot to take a photo of the end result: the baked cake.  So please refer to the above image for the final product of this recipe.



These are my beginning ingredients: egg yolks, egg whites, lemons and mint.  I'm not sure how my limes found their way into this photo.  Please disregard them.
About 8 mint sprigs from my garden all chopped up

The zest of one lemon
The poor lemon is now naked
This conglomeration is zest, mint leaves, lemon juice, oil, egg yolks,  sugar, and salt.

This is what the cake looks like just prior to baking.  You can see the bits of lemon zest and mint leaves throughout the cake.


Once again I apologize I do not have a photo of my final cake.  Honestly, it was Valentines Day weekend, I had a lot on my mind and I just forgot.  The syrup was delicious and it is super pungent.  I put a bit of lemon simple syrup on the plate, set the cake on top of the syrup, then poured a bit more syrup onto the cake.  

I like this recipe because it uses very few ingredients and it is easy to make.  A few words to describe it: bright, simple, and fresh.