23 March 2011

Meat

Well, to put it bluntly, I am considering becoming a vegetarian.

The more I learn about the food industry in regards to how meat gets from the cow/chicken to one's dinner plate, the more easily I find it to stick with the vegetable, fruit, dairy, and grain.  My issue is not with the fact that animals die so that we can eat, but it is how they die, how they are fed, what they are fed, and how their existence is spent.  Veal, for instance, is inhumane in my opinion because a baby calf is penned up so that it cannot move around so that the meat will be tender when one eats it.  I am definitely a food person, but I do not think it is fair that a baby calf is penned up its whole life and then slaughtered on behalf of my  40 minute luxury dinner.  To be frank, there are more important ways that money can be spent.  I will not go into any more details about the way animals are treated prior to butcher because much information can be found through reputable sources on the web.

When I watch shows on the Travel Channel like 'Man-vs-Food' I start to form some strong opinions on this subject.  One reason is because that cow shouldn't have had to die so that Adam could scarf down as much meat in an hour as possible.  Sometimes I wonder if he throws it up afterward.  The second reason is because when I am watching competitive eating contests like Man-vs-Food, I can't help but think of my friends in Honduras.  Those sweet boys and girls I met whose families live so close to the poverty line.  Do you think they would have liked to have some of that hamburger?  I can't help but think of all of the children and families even here in the U.S. who go hungry.  I feel like I should write the Travel Channel and ask them to consider a donation to U.S. families living beneath the poverty line in lieu of sending Adam to another location to eat a ridiculous amount of food.