12 November 2010

Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

 A few days ago it was quite chilly outside, so I decided to make soup.  This is an autumn soup that with an unexpected ingredient: pear.  Come into my kitchen and I will show you this recipe.


Peel a butternut squash, two pears, and dice two tomatoes.















I was quite surprised to find this ugliness inside.















Dice tomatoes, pear, and squash.  Add olive oil and S&P.
Roast on a baking sheet until tender.
Place into food processor and add chicken broth.  Mix until smooth.

Add Gorgonzola cheese and a bit of flat-leaf Italian parsley.



I would describe this soup as warm and surprising.  Gorgonzola cheese is notorious for pairing well with pears.  However, just by looking at the soup, I did not expect that sweetness that came through with the pears.  The cheese added creaminess and tangyness and the parsley great color.   I would recommend this soup to people who enjoy the sweet-savory combination of food.


Buon Apetito.